Should I do things beyond my gym workout to help burn calories?

Most definitely - Yes! With only a small portion of time spent in your gym (compared to the remaining hours being awake), you can see how your level of activity in life outside the gym can have a significant impact in your calorie burning and improving your health. In addition to calorie burn, studies have shown that increasing activity outside of the gym can improve overall health - http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.aspx?docid=648761.

The point is that making small changes in everyday activities can go a long way toward burning calories and improving health. Stand up while talking on phone, take breaks from sitting while at work, use the stairs, park farther away, and other small changes can raise your overall activity level which helps burn calories and makes you healthier.

There always things you can do beyond your gym workout to help you burn more calories.  Taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work, park farther away when you go to work, shopping or any location you visit.  Even little things around the house can help you burn more calories like clean, gardening or even walking the dog.  If you have children more play time with them will help you burn more calories.  As you can see there is so much to do just outside your gym workout to help you burn more calories.
Every bit of extra activity can be a boost to your overall health and wellness so taking strides to add extra movement is a great idea. There are many things you can do to burn extra calories beyond your gym work out that are quick and easy. Simple things like parking further from your destination and walking a little more can be a great way to get more activity in. Taking the stairs instead of elevators or escalators is another way to boost activity. Anything that causes you to work a little harder and move a little more can be helpful.
Absolutely! The more active you are throughout the day, the more calories you will burn. Going to the gym to workout is great, but that doesn't mean you can sit around and do nothing for the rest of the day. Try to remain as active as possible. Any chance you can, get up and move. Walk to a co-workers desk to deliver a message rather than call or email her. Take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible. Stand up and pace while on the phone. Walk your dog. Play with your children. Park at the far end of the parking lot so you have to walk further to get to the store.

Movement burns calories. The more you move over the course of your day, the more calories you will burn.
Kathy Shain
Fitness

Yes, to live an active life would include finding some fun outdoor activities that would not only be a great social and fun way to meet more active people, but it would also be a great way to increase the amount of calories you burn. There are so many activities to choose from, for example: cross country and downhill skiing, biking, inline skating, ice skating, rock climbing, canoeing, and kayaking. If you do not have anyone to explore the outdoors with try looking on a website called meetup.com for an activity club close to you. Just remember you are never too old to go outside and play.

Yes! Most people overestimate the contribution of their exercise session in a gym to their 24-hour calorie burn. Realistically, most people only have 1-2 hours a day to devote to exercise. However, almost everyone can find a way to increase their calorie burn for the 10-12 hours they are awake and not at the gym. Following this advice could yield an additional 200-400 calories burned. Added to your workout that can have an enormous impact on your body.
Woman Practicing Yoga Positions

Continue Learning about Exercise For Weight Loss

Keep Weight off with This Kid Pastime
Keep Weight off with This Kid Pastime
Many of us haven't done it since our skinned-knee playground days. But research shows it may help keep you slim. Hint: It involves two wheels. We're ...
Should I do total-body exercises to help weight loss?
Tony HortonTony Horton
Fitness expert and creator of the P90X fitness program, Tony Horton, explains how total body exe...
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss5 Exercise Hacks to Jumpstart Your Weight Loss
Trainer Donovan Green shares his secrets for calorie-burning success.
What's the Best Exercise for Weight Loss If I Only Have 5 Minutes?