What are the general health recommendations for cardio training?

Many people who perform cardio training do so because they are looking to make improvements to their health. The general health recommendations for cardio include performing 30 minutes of cardio activity, five to seven days a week. Cardio activities for general health improvements can include general activities such as walking your dog, mowing the lawn, taking the stairs, dancing, and playing with your children. The intensity of the activity you choose, should be moderate enough to raise your heart rate and increase breathing rate. If you find 30 minutes is a little too challenging to begin with, try splitting your activity up into three bouts of 10 minutes. Research has shown that performing 10 minutes of activity, three times a day, is just as effective as performing one 30 minute bout of activity.

If your goal is to accomplish and maintain general health (reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer etc), it is recommended that you perform cardio training five to seven days per week at a moderate intensity level totaling 30 minutes each day. A moderate intensity is intense enough to raise your heart rate but will still allow you to carry on a conversation. If 30 minutes is too challenging at first, you can split your recommended 30 minutes into shorter bouts of activity (10 or 15 minutes for each training session). This will allow you to complete the recommendations with similar benefits as performing the activity all in one session. You can incorporate general activities as cardio training for health recommendations such as walking, using the stairs, gardening, etc.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Increasing Cardiovascular Endurance

Do fartlek runs help build cardio endurance?
Fartlek, which means "speed play" in Swedish, is a form of cardio training which puts stress mainly ...
Is it better to use more reps to increase my cardiovascular endurance?
Cardiovascular endurance is best improved by performing continuous cardio exercise for an extended p...
Where should my heart rate be when I do cardio training?
Whether you’re peddling away on the exercise bike or striding along on the treadmill, it’s important...
Is there a point where cardio exercise can hurt me?
Yes, when you do so much of it as you get injured, tear a muscle, destroy a joint, or anything in th...