How do I improve endurance?

It depends on whether you are training for cardio or muscular endurance. Cardio endurance involves the cardiorespiratory system's ability to sustain low to moderate intensity or stress over prolonged periods of time. In order to increase cardio endurance, you would need to train at 65%-75% of your maximum heart rate for an extended period of time (30-60 minutes is ideal). If you are unable to complete the recommended duration of cardio training initially, start with shorter bouts of physical activity multiple times throughout the day until you are better able to handle more aggressive durations. Muscular endurance refers to the ability of a muscle to produce low to moderate levels of intensity, or force, for prolonged periods of time. For muscular endurance, you can follow similar concepts as cardio training. Training by moving moderate resistance (50%-70% of your 1 repetition maximum) over long periods of time (12 to 20 repetitions at a slow tempo) will help to increase the amount of time the muscles are under stress which will improve endurance. It is important to train the body for endurance by not performing the maximum amount of weight you can lift, but by seeing how long you can sustain the movements.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Increasing Cardiovascular Endurance

How can I improve my heart health by exercising?
Jennifer H. Haythe, MDJennifer H. Haythe, MD
To improve your heart health with exercise, the current guidelines recommend moderately vigorous exe...
Where should my heart rate be when I do cardio training?
Whether you’re peddling away on the exercise bike or striding along on the treadmill, it’s important...
How can I improve my cardiovascular endurance?
Improvements come with practice! Try to perform at least 30 minutes of aerobic activity most day...
What else besides running can I do to increase my cardiovascular endurance
Cardioresiratory activities include any type of activity that involves and places demand on the card...