How do I improve endurance?

It depends on whether you are training for cardio or muscular endurance. Cardio endurance involves the cardiorespiratory system's ability to sustain low to moderate intensity or stress over prolonged periods of time. In order to increase cardio endurance, you would need to train at 65%-75% of your maximum heart rate for an extended period of time (30-60 minutes is ideal). If you are unable to complete the recommended duration of cardio training initially, start with shorter bouts of physical activity multiple times throughout the day until you are better able to handle more aggressive durations. Muscular endurance refers to the ability of a muscle to produce low to moderate levels of intensity, or force, for prolonged periods of time. For muscular endurance, you can follow similar concepts as cardio training. Training by moving moderate resistance (50%-70% of your 1 repetition maximum) over long periods of time (12 to 20 repetitions at a slow tempo) will help to increase the amount of time the muscles are under stress which will improve endurance. It is important to train the body for endurance by not performing the maximum amount of weight you can lift, but by seeing how long you can sustain the movements.

Continue Learning about Exercise For Increasing Cardiovascular Endurance

Will the cardio/strength programs make me faster on the bike?
While circuit training may be more interesting and fun for some athletes, there is little transl...
Should I do cardio if I am trying to increase muscle size?
Chris Embry Chris Embry
While cardiovascular exercise can be reduced if you are trying to gain muscle, it is important to ke...
Can endurance exercises make you smarter?
Can running, swimming or biking improve your memory? In this Treadmill Talk, Sharecare expert Dr. Mi...
How long should I run to increase my cardiovascular endurance?
How much you run will depend on your fitness level. If you're new to exercise, strive for 15-20 minu...