Why are Kegel exercises useful during pregnancy?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing Specialist

Doing kegel exercises throughout your pregnancy will help strengthen the same muscles you use to push out your baby, says nurse midwife Paula Greer. To learn more about why kegels are good to do during and after pregnancy, watch this video.

Kegel exercises can help reduce the risk of getting stress urinary incontinence after having a baby.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

To help counteract all the sagging that's going on in your pelvic floor, you want to practice Kegel exercises. First, find the muscles you would use to stop urine flow. Now, squeeze and hold for 5 seconds, then release for 5 seconds. Do 10 repetitions three times a day. The beauty of Kegels is that nobody needs to know that you're doing them. The exercises will not only help strengthen muscles to help combat pregnancy-related urinary leakage, but will also help tighten the entire structure for lifelong pelvic health.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...
Dr. Evelyn Minaya, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Do your Kegels while you're pregnant, and you'll be glad you did after you have your baby. In this video, obstetrician and gynecologist Evelyn Minaya, MD, explains why.

Continue Learning about Exercise During Pregnancy

Earning Sweat Equity During Pregnancy
Earning Sweat Equity During Pregnancy
When licensed contractor and personal trainer (what a combo!) Amy Matthews hosts Sweat Equity on the DIY channel, you’re in for great tips on increasi...
How can exercising during my pregnancy benefit my baby?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Babies born to moms who exercise during pregnancy are more likely to be active themselves. Moms who ...
6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses
6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses
Basic stretches to help you through pregnancy and labor.
Is It Safe to Exercise During Pregnancy?