What are the advantages of gaining muscle when I'm pregnant?

While now is not the ideal time to shape your body into that of an American Gladiator, it's a fine time to add a little lean muscle mass by doing some resistance exercises with light weights. Muscle speeds your metabolism, which lowers your risk of gaining extra fat and developing diabetes; Just as importantly, muscle itself loves to chew up extra blood sugar - and that will keep those particles from floating around and gunking you up.

Being less active during pregnancy can lead to loss of muscle mass, which underscores the importance of making an extra effort to maintain and add muscle during pregnancy. Another good reason to take up weight training is to prepare yourself for the physical demands that come with carrying, holding, and picking up your baby. Yoga and water aerobics are great ways to burn calories and prepare your body for delivery.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Exercise During Pregnancy

Earning Sweat Equity During Pregnancy
Earning Sweat Equity During Pregnancy
When licensed contractor and personal trainer (what a combo!) Amy Matthews hosts Sweat Equity on the DIY channel, you’re in for great tips on increasi...
Is it safe to work out during pregnancy?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
It is safe to exercise when pregnant. Some activities should be avoided, such as heavy lifting, but ...
6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses
6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses6 Easy Prenatal Yoga Poses
Basic stretches to help you through pregnancy and labor.
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?
Can I Exercise During Pregnancy?