What kinds of exercises build bone strength?

The kinds of exercise that build bone strength include running and gymnastics. Skipping, jumping and martial arts also keep bones healthy and strong. Bone-strengthening exercises help with bone growth.

Weight-bearing exercises—the kind that force your body to work against gravity, such as walking, running, dancing, and tennis—are the best for keeping bones healthy. Yoga, strength-training, and working out on an elliptical can help, too. Swimming, bicycling, and water aerobics are good workouts, but they don't strengthen bone. The key, says Diane Schneider, MD, a geriatrician and the author of The Complete Book of Bone Health, is to simply be active. "It doesn't have to be exercise in the gym," she says. "You simply want to spend more time on your feet and move. You want to spend less time sitting."

Continue Learning about Exercise & Bone Strength

How Can I Strengthen My Back?
How Can I Strengthen My Back?