How does exercise help my bones?

Just as exercise improves your muscle, it also builds your bone strength. In particular, weight-bearing exercise, which is just about everything except swimming and cycling, really helps kick up the bone-building process. Bone’s biggest enemy--besides, perhaps, a patch of black ice--is soda (or pop, if you’re from the Midwest).

Chemicals found in soda, such as phosphorous, may lead to bone loss, and the caffeine may interfere with the body’s ability to absorb calcium. We suggest drinking low-fat milk or calcium-fortified OJ instead of soda pop! Your bones’ best friends are vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium. A solid 40 percent to 60 percent of your bone mass is deposited during early puberty (ages 10 to 12 for girls, 14 to 18 for boys), with an extra 10 percent added during your twenties. Bone density peaks by the time you’re thirty, with bone loss happening after that. 

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Exercise & Bone Strength

What kinds of exercises build bone strength?
Weight-bearing exercises—the kind that force your body to work against gravity, such as walking, run...
Do I have to do a certain type of exercise to stop bone loss?
Howard S. SmithHoward S. Smith
Exercise does not have to be excessive or strenuous to stop or reverse bone loss. Two studies in...
What strengthening exercises can help correct a twisted thigh bone?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Sometimes our thigh bones are more or less twisted than the norm. If one or both are twisted inward ...
How much weight do I need to lift to build bone density?
Performing strength training (or resistance training) is a great way to increase your bone density-b...