What are the side effects of Exelon (rivastigmine)?

The most common side effects of Exelon (rivastigmine) are diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting, which in most cases do not need medical attention. Other less serious side effects include cough, insomnia, headache, constipation, fainting, weakness, joint pain, elevated sweating, or swelling in the hands or feet. Skin reactions may develop where the patch is applied; tell your doctor if they spread or are severe.

Exelon may cause more serious side effects, such as weight loss, chest pain, stomach pain, irregular stools (black, sticky, or bloody), light-headedness, fainting, loss of appetite, confusion, depression, burning sensation while urinating, vomiting blood or a black substance, or coughing up blood. If you experience any of these side effects, you should stop taking the drug and call your doctor as soon as possible. If you experience any signs of an allergic reaction, such as swelling of the face, hives, or difficulty breathing, get medical attention immediately, call 911.

Continue Learning about Exelon

Who should take Exelon?
Exelon is intended for people suffering from dementia-induced memory loss and a diagnosis of mild to...
What happens if I miss a dose of Exelon?
If you miss a dose of Exelon, take it immediately when you remember it. Do not take the missed dose ...
Should I take Exelon if I am pregnant or nursing?
It is not expected that Exelon would cause harm to a developing fetus. Contact your doctor if you ar...
What is an Exelon Patch (rivastigmine)?
The Exelon Patch (rivastigmine) is a prescription patch that is used to help treat mild to moderate ...