Why should I take the stairs instead of elevators?

If there are less than 3 flights of stairs to get to your destination, take them. Walking a flight of stairs is one of the best exercises you can do. It builds muscle mass, since you’re fighting gravity, and it burns calories.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

The biggest question is why you shouldn’t take the stairs?  Taking the elevator is understandable, especially if you are injured.  However, why not get exercise when you can and taking the stairs can truly be exercise, especially if you work on the 8th floor!

Sometimes taking the stairs is tough if you are coming from a meeting with your boss and they jump into the elevator.  You may be hesitant to ask for the stairs but I am sure they will appreciate you looking after your health and theirs.  The stairs will benefit most everyone and will be a great way to burn a few calories throughout the day.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Do Morning and Evening Workouts Provide Different Benefits?
When the Pawtucket Red Socks and the Rochester Red Wings took the field at 8:25 p.m. on April 18, 1981, they had no idea that they’d still be trying t...
How can I do yoga stretches at the office?
Go in the bathroom and do them so no can see you having fun there. Or, grab two of your friends and ...
How can I be more active at home?
JJ VirginJJ Virgin
Try an at-home workout that works for you. That might mean a yoga DVD or body-weight exercises. My f...
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat