What exercise should I do to get ready to shovel snow?

Shoveling snow can be a very intense activity potentially improving your aerobic fitness and muscular endurance, and aid in weight loss. Make sure to wear appropriate clothing, including a hat and gloves. It is equally important to stay dry and wear proper footwear that repels moisture.

Before you begin, it will be important to perform some light stretching and dynamic movements to properly warm up. Some muscles to stretch include your calves, hamstrings, hip flexors (muscles on the front of your hips) and latissimus dorsi (large back muscle). Hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds on each side. After stretching perform some dynamic movements such as arm circles, marching in place, push-ups and lunges. Be sure to only choose exercises you can safely perform while maintaining ideal posture. Perform 1 set of 10 repetitions for each exercise. This will help get your blood flowing and joints nice and limber before shoveling snow.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Little Ways to Get Fit
Little Ways to Get Fit
You don't have to be a gym rat to get fit. Sometimes, all you have to do is mess around in the garden. Or putz around the yard. Or simply walk to the ...
How does sitting for long periods of time affect my health?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Sitting for long periods at a desk has been shown to be harmful to your health due to your body’s la...
What are benefits of regular physical activity if I have a disability?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Adding regular physical activity is even more important if you have a disability, since people w...
Why College Students Should Hang Up Their Cell Phones