What exercise should I do to get ready to shovel snow?

Shoveling snow can be a very intense activity potentially improving your aerobic fitness and muscular endurance, and aid in weight loss. Make sure to wear appropriate clothing, including a hat and gloves. It is equally important to stay dry and wear proper footwear that repels moisture.

Before you begin, it will be important to perform some light stretching and dynamic movements to properly warm up. Some muscles to stretch include your calves, hamstrings, hip flexors (muscles on the front of your hips) and latissimus dorsi (large back muscle). Hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds on each side. After stretching perform some dynamic movements such as arm circles, marching in place, push-ups and lunges. Be sure to only choose exercises you can safely perform while maintaining ideal posture. Perform 1 set of 10 repetitions for each exercise. This will help get your blood flowing and joints nice and limber before shoveling snow.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Do Morning and Evening Workouts Provide Different Benefits?
When the Pawtucket Red Socks and the Rochester Red Wings took the field at 8:25 p.m. on April 18, 1981, they had no idea that they’d still be trying t...
How Fequently Should I Stretch My Calves?
How Can I Keep Myself Physically Active Despite a Busy Schedule?
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
Ride the Bus to Get Fit