What can my children and I do to keep active, since we live in the city?

If you live in a large city there are still plenty of options available for you and your child to be active. Living in a city will give you access to many gyms many of which offer classes that both children and parents can participate in as a family. Nearly every large city has a wide array of community centers that offer fitness classes and the ability to learn new sports and hobbies that are active, including martial arts, dancing, fencing, and other sports and hobbies. Most cities have a wide array of public parks that you and your child can go to and play and walk around in that allows you to be outside and active. Through your cities, parks and recreation department is many communities based recreational leagues, including soccer, softball, baseball, dance, ballet, tennis, golf that your child can participate in as well as yourself. If you live within walking distance of shops and stores or your city has excellent public transportation, walking to as many places as possible will help you be active and improve the health of you and your child.  

Good news! Being active doesn’t require massive space. You also do not have to spend money for a gym membership. Make your body your gym. You can do pushups, sit-ups, and flexibility exercises -- such as yoga -- at home; that is a great start. Once a week, everyone can travel to a local park and play various games for outdoor fun and activity. The key is showing your children that fitness and fun can happen most anywhere. 

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Feeling Peckish? Try 20-Second Exercise Snacks
According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau and the Simmons National Consumer Survey, almost 35 million Americans consumed 16 or more bags of potato...
How Do I Get a Good Workout While Doing Household Chores?
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
Ride the Bus to Get Fit