How can I work out while doing yard work?

Though yard work should not replace a regular workout, it can be a great supplement to your exercise routine. Chores in the yard can help you burn (extra) calories and work out various parts of your body. Raking leaves left over from the fall, for instance, can provide you with a great upper body workout. Similarly, pushing a manual lawn mower, trimming your hedges, pulling weeds from your garden and planting flowers and shrubs can all be effective workouts for your shoulder, back and leg muscles.

The following are some activities you can do outdoors to burn extra calories:

• Push-mowing the lawn: Sixty minutes burns between 350 and 400 calories.
  • Weed whacking: Thirty minutes burns 85 to 100 calories and helps strengthen and tone your core.
  • Weeding by hand: This and other gardening activities can burn between 200 and 600 calories per hour, depending on the intensity of the task.

While yard work can be fun and healthy, it’s important not to strain your joints or muscles when working in the yard. Talk with your healthcare provider about ways to get your work done without putting too much strain on your body.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Do Morning and Evening Workouts Provide Different Benefits?
When the Pawtucket Red Socks and the Rochester Red Wings took the field at 8:25 p.m. on April 18, 1981, they had no idea that they’d still be trying t...
How can I increase the amount of exercise I do?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
There are many ways to get extra aerobic exercise in addition to your scheduled workouts. Here are s...
Is shoveling snow a good way to get exercise during the winter?
Beth OliverBeth Oliver
It’s great! Warm up your trunk muscles a bit before you start with some easy twisting movements and ...
How Fequently Should I Stretch My Calves?