How does sitting for long periods of time affect my health?

Sitting for long periods at a desk has been shown to be harmful to your health due to your body’s lack of activity. In fact, some research claims that sitting for eight hours without exercise increases your chances of dying prematurely by 60 percent. While some people opt for standing desks, most office workers have no choice but to tough it out. What to do?

According to research published in The Lancet, exercising for an hour daily can counteract the detrimental effects of all that sitting. Cancer and heart and artery disease are the maladies most associated with the dangers of prolonged sitting, so if you have predisposition for those illnesses, be proactive and get to the gym as often as possible.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Don’t Slip Up When It Comes to Physical Activity
When Paul Simon sings Slip Slidin’ Away he’s crooning about the elusive nature of life, love and good intentions. Well, now research confirms how, des...
How can I change my habits to improve my fitness?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You can do a lot to improve your fitness by simply changing a few habits. Here are some ideas:Take t...
How much physical activity should one perform in a day?
Kevin Weston , NASM Elite TrainerKevin Weston , NASM Elite Trainer
That depends on what your goals are. To receive the benefits of decreasing your relative risk for ce...
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
Ride the Bus to Get Fit