How does sitting for long periods of time affect my health?

Sitting for long periods at a desk has been shown to be harmful to your health due to your body’s lack of activity. In fact, some research claims that sitting for eight hours without exercise increases your chances of dying prematurely by 60 percent. While some people opt for standing desks, most office workers have no choice but to tough it out. What to do?

According to research published in The Lancet, exercising for an hour daily can counteract the detrimental effects of all that sitting. Cancer and heart and artery disease are the maladies most associated with the dangers of prolonged sitting, so if you have predisposition for those illnesses, be proactive and get to the gym as often as possible.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

The Ups and Downs of Standing Desks
The Ups and Downs of Standing Desks
Standing in one position for too long is just as bad as sitting down. According to a study in the journal Ergonomics, doing computer-related work at a...
How can playing with children help me keep active and burn calories?
Children inherently love to be active. Playground games such as Hopscotch and Follow the Snake o...
What daily exercise can help me get in touch with my energetic flow?
 If you want to learn more about energy channels, chakra’s and energy flow, there are a wealth of bo...
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
Ride the Bus to Get Fit