How does sitting for long periods of time affect my health?

Sitting for long periods at a desk has been shown to be harmful to your health due to your body’s lack of activity. In fact, some research claims that sitting for eight hours without exercise increases your chances of dying prematurely by 60 percent. While some people opt for standing desks, most office workers have no choice but to tough it out. What to do?

According to research published in The Lancet, exercising for an hour daily can counteract the detrimental effects of all that sitting. Cancer and heart and artery disease are the maladies most associated with the dangers of prolonged sitting, so if you have predisposition for those illnesses, be proactive and get to the gym as often as possible.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

One Thing You Can Do Today to Have a Second Chance at Health
Whether you’re talking fantasy or reality, do-overs don’t usually happen, but nothing could be further from the truth when it comes to past health mis...
The Exercise Plan to Extend Your Life
The Exercise Plan to Extend Your Life
Newton’s first law of motion is also sometimes called the law of inertia. Briefly, an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in mo...
Why College Students Should Hang Up Their Cell Phones
How Do I Get a Good Workout While Doing Household Chores?