How much should I exercise to feel younger?

Experts recommend that people engage in 2 hours 30 minutes of moderate exercise or 1 hour 15 minutes of vigorous exercise a week to stay healthy.  Examples of moderate exercise would be an activity you can do and still carry on a conversation or only produces mild sweating, examples would include golf, a leisurely hike or a walk. Vigorous exercise would be activities that cause you to be short of breathe or sweat a lot. Examples would include a brisk run, a steep hike, or intense weightlifting.
One of the key reason that most American don't exercise enough (according to a study published in The Journal of the American Medical Association) is that they think they need to invest an hour or two in a vigorous workout in order to get the health benefits of exercise. Since they can't fit this plan into a busy schedule, they do nothing at all. Luckily, this way of thinking is completely false. The truth is that even modest physical activity can make your RealAge (physiologic age) younger, substantially younger. And you don't have to let it disrupt your daily schedule. Just thirty minutes of walking a day - which every one of us can fit into our current lives, given the slightest effort and commitment - can make a world of difference.

Even getting just 750 kcal a week of physical activity (about two ten-minute walks a day) makes your RealAge 0.9 to 1.7 years younger than if you did nothing. Three recent studies reported that just twenty minutes of walking a day reduces the likelihood of breast or prostate cancer by 20 to 44 percent. If you get an hour's worth of physical activity a day - and that includes such things as walking up the stairs or taking a couple of ten-minute strolls - you can make your RealAge two to five years younger.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Double-Duty Exercise Opportunities
Double-Duty Exercise Opportunities
You know how tough it can be to find time to work out. Jam-packed schedules and never-ending chores don't seem to leave much time for taking care of y...
What daily exercise can help me get in touch with my energetic flow?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
When you first wake up, right before you get out of bed, take your hands and place them in a prayer ...
What kind of exercises could I do while at my desk?
Mr. Donovan GreenMr. Donovan Green
Isometric exercises and stretching exercises are great ways to stay active while you are seated at a...
How can I get more exercise?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Most of us could easily increase our activity level simply by increasing the number of steps we take...