How much exercise is necessary for optimal health?

The NASM and the Surgeon General’s office recommends that you engage in a minimum of 75 minutes a week of vigorous physical activity, or 150 minutes of moderate physical activity a week. Moderate activity is defined as activity during which you can still talk and answer questions. Vigorous activity is defined as an exercise in which you can no longer talk and answer questions due to the intensity of the exercise. Engaging in more than the minimum will allow you to gain increased health benefits, but at the minimum you should engage in 75 minutes of vigorous or 150 minutes of intense exercise.

For optimal health, people need one hour of aerobic exercise a day. In addition, muscle- and bone-strengthening exercises should be done three times a week. 

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

How Can You Work Exercise Into Your Daily Routine?
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
Why College Students Should Hang Up Their Cell Phones
How Can I Keep Myself Physically Active Despite a Busy Schedule?