How do I get a good workout while doing household chores?

The key to turning any household task into exercise is to pick up the pace or increase intensity and sustain it for as long as comfortably possible without taking a break.

So if you have to clean the floors, throw on some upbeat music, and put some major muscle behind your mopping. And set yourself a goal to see if you can finish within a certain time limit. This will help you keep the activity intense enough to count it as exercise.

Depending on what chores you do this will make it a good workout all on it’s own. Things like mopping, sweeping, cleaning rugs are strenuous and will improve fitness over sitting on the couch. To make your chores more of a workout try to use as few labor-saving  devices as possible. By using not mechanized or electrical equipment it makes the chores more labor intensive and a better workout.  

Pace and attitude create a workout environment regardless of location. Set specific goals (time) to get chores done and try to improve on that time each session. Hard work need not require a gym, just a will!

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Feeling Peckish? Try 20-Second Exercise Snacks
According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau and the Simmons National Consumer Survey, almost 35 million Americans consumed 16 or more bags of potato...
How Can I Keep Myself Physically Active Despite a Busy Schedule?
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat