What is a basic, easy-to-use weekly workout schedule?

Probably, the simplest and a commonly used workout schedule is to divide the body into upper body and lower body workouts. Focus on exercise for the upper body such as pushups, bench press, and pull ups, military press on one day, and focus on exercises like squats, lunges, and step ups on another day. Make sure to give yourself 48 hours before you train the same muscles again. This is probably the simplest and most effective.
Here's a 7-day prescription for a strong, lean, fit body. And improved longevity. And a sack full of other benefits (such as being better in the sack). Every day, do 30 minutes of walking (and never use hand weights while walking; that can be dangerous).

On each day below, add the following activity:

• Monday: 20-minute stamina workout, followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Tuesday: 10-minute resistance training followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Wednesday: 20-minute stamina workout, followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Thursday: 10-minute resistance training followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Friday: 20-minute stamina workout, followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Saturday: 30 minutes of walking (so today's total will be 1 hour of walking, plus 10 minutes of resistance training, followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Sunday: 30 minutes of walking (so today's total will be 1 hour of walking)

YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

The Ups and Downs of Standing Desks
The Ups and Downs of Standing Desks
Standing in one position for too long is just as bad as sitting down. According to a study in the journal Ergonomics, doing computer-related work at a...
How can I change my habits to improve my fitness?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You can do a lot to improve your fitness by simply changing a few habits. Here are some ideas:Take t...
What is the difference between daily activities and structured exercise?
Phil Holbrook , NASM Elite TrainerPhil Holbrook , NASM Elite Trainer
The difference between daily activities and structured exercise is the fact that a specific plan is ...
4 Smart Ways to Enjoy TV and Still Lose Weight