What is a basic, easy-to-use weekly workout schedule?

Here's a 7-day prescription for a strong, lean, fit body. And improved longevity. And a sack full of other benefits (such as being better in the sack). Every day, do 30 minutes of walking (and never use hand weights while walking; that can be dangerous).

On each day below, add the following activity:

• Monday: 20-minute stamina workout, followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Tuesday: 10-minute resistance training followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Wednesday: 20-minute stamina workout, followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Thursday: 10-minute resistance training followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Friday: 20-minute stamina workout, followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Saturday: 30 minutes of walking (so today's total will be 1 hour of walking, plus 10 minutes of resistance training, followed by 5 minutes of yoga
  • Sunday: 30 minutes of walking (so today's total will be 1 hour of walking)

YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger
Probably, the simplest and a commonly used workout schedule is to divide the body into upper body and lower body workouts. Focus on exercise for the upper body such as pushups, bench press, and pull ups, military press on one day, and focus on exercises like squats, lunges, and step ups on another day. Make sure to give yourself 48 hours before you train the same muscles again. This is probably the simplest and most effective.

Continue Learning about Everyday Activities & Fitness

Do Morning and Evening Workouts Provide Different Benefits?
When the Pawtucket Red Socks and the Rochester Red Wings took the field at 8:25 p.m. on April 18, 1981, they had no idea that they’d still be trying t...
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat
Stand Up, Lose Belly Fat
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
Ride the Bus to Get Fit
How Can I Keep Myself Physically Active Despite a Busy Schedule?