If I am working out regularly why do I not see results?

If you’re not seeing results it could be from a number of different things. If you have not changed up your workout and continue doing the same one over and over again, your body adapts to this routine and no longer finds it challenging and has no reason to change.

If you are over training and not taking days off for repair and recovery you won’t see results either. As a matter of fact, you will be tearing down what you spent so much time building up and could cause a serious injury.

Caloric intake could also be the problem. Whether it too many calories and not enough. If you’re not tracking what you’re taking in you want know for sure what you are consuming. With portion distortion you may not realize you are over eating. When it comes to not eating enough calories, your body will go into starvation mode and not let you burn off fat.

Cardio training is a great way to burn calories but muscle toning, shaping and definition come from weight training. A good two hours a week will really make a difference and don't worry, you will not bulk up. It takes testosterone to bulk up. Even still, only 10% of men have to ability to hulk.

You look at yourself every day. Are you sure you’re not seeing results. Taking pictures once a month will make you more aware of the changes you are making.

Seeing results can be a very subjective thing.  Results for many people can be tracked by what they see in the mirror.  If your primary goal for following a fitness program is fat loss then you have to make sure that the calories you take in are in alignment with what your goals presently are.  Many people say they are not seeing results when they are exercising simply because they are eating enough to replace the calories they burn while exercising.  If by chance you say this because you don't see yourself getting stronger or feel yourself getting fitter then you probably need to shake up your program a little bit.  Programs must create stress that your body adapts too.  If your program isn't changing your fitness level then your body is probably no longer adapting and you need to create an adaptive response which means change up your workout.
You have probably hit a plateau. Plateaus are very common, but they can be avoided. Your body is a very complex and adaptive machine. It will work very hard once a new stress or stimulus is placed on it (this stress will be in the form of exercise). If the exercise is never changed, then your body will adapt to the demands and your results will level off. The key to avoiding a plateau is through periodization. Periodization occurs when you set up an exercise program which has small phases or stages which progress overtime. Another factor which may need to be considered is that once you lose weight, your metabolic rate will also decrease (there is less body to maintain) and you may need to readjust your caloric intake. To lose weight, you must burn more calories than you take in. If you are burning fewer calories during your body's resting state, then you will need to consumer fewer calories to continue to lose weight.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

Should I jump into local races even if I am not in race shape yet?
Absolutely! Since there’s so much more to being a successful cyclist than merely having great fi...
What should my heart rate be during cardio exercise?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Start by determining your maximum heart rate. I suggest the following formula: 220 - your age = esti...
Why should I track my exercise progress?
Tracking your progress can be a useful way to keep you motivated when you start an exercise program....
What does the curl up test measure?
The “curl up” is also known as a crunch. This test measures abdominal strength and endurance. This t...