Why is waist size important?

Huma U. Sheikh, MD
Neurology
One of the reasons that it can be important is that waist circumference has been found to be a risk factor for stroke.  This is thought to be because belly fat is especially thought to be an indicator for inflammation, as opposed to fat in other regions of the body.
While waist size is important regarding your current health condition and a risk factor for health concerns, waist size measurement can be an effective tool in a fitness program, as well.

A decreasing waist size can provide a more accurate assessment of your fitness and health and, rather than relying on weight loss only.  When we exercise on a consistent basis, we will experience some initial weight loss, but we are also transforming our body fat into healthy lean muscle mass, which causes weight loss to slow. That can lead to a perception of not meeting our weight-loss goals. 

Recognizing and working toward a shrinking waistline, (clothes feeling loose around the waist/hips) gives us a much better picture of our true overall body fitness and accomplishment, and in turn improving health.

Having lots of belly fat can be very bad for your health, but many Americans don't know why. Find out the answers as Dr. Oz explains in this video.

The circumference of your waist may trump body-mass index (BMI) or body weight to gauge your risk for developing diabetes, especially if you’re a woman. According to a study published by PloS Medicine, non-obese people with large waists are at a higher risk for the disease. A large waist is 35 inches or more in a woman, for men, 40. Get out the tape measure, then get to the gym.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

When should I do plyometric exercises?
To get the most out of your plyometric exercises, you should perform them toward the beginning of a ...
How can I track my progress with my exercise program?
These days, there are numerous ways to count steps (or mileage or calories), and that’s through high...
What variables contribute to the success of an exercise plan?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
The acute variables of exercise include: Repetitions are the number of times an exercise is repe...
How can I make best use of EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption)?
Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption is the period of time after exercise where your body is stil...