Why is circumference measured or assessed?

Circumference can be a great source of feedback to measure results throughout a diet and/or exercise program.  Whether you are trying to lose weight or gain muscle, it is a good idea to take before and after measurements to check progress.  Additionally, tables are available to estimate body fat percentage based on circumference measurements.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How is fitness measured in the lab?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Fitness is generally measured in the lab as maximum oxygen uptake, or VO2 max. This is a measure of ...
What should I do if I have a pear body type?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
If you have a pear-shaped body, you may not like your hips. However, you can be thankful because it ...
What variables contribute to the success of an exercise plan?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
The acute variables of exercise include: Repetitions are the number of times an exercise is repe...
What causes muscular imbalances?
Keith Chittenden , NASM Elite TrainerKeith Chittenden , NASM Elite Trainer
Muscular Imbalances can be caused by improper seated or standing postures.  If you are constantly si...