Who should perform power exercises?

JC Pinzon
Fitness
Anyone interested in increasing performance or burning calories for weight loss. As long as the form is correct and the participant can keep up, it is a great way to burn calories and get faster in most sports. Power training is demanding on all joints and one should rest enough and recover before repeating.  Only a certified trainer would help you follow a strategy program with a structured routine. Plyometric or power training is not the best choice for growing children or older people. It puts a lot of stress on the knees and hips. When trainining for power, timing and body weight matter so good mechanics must be used to perform in alignment without any compensations. NASM programs provide great sequences of exercises to follow in an order so that you are improving without getting injured. Sometimes it takes time and dedication to follow a program which might not work for everybody, but you can find your program through trial and error or hire a trainer to develop one for you based on an assessment. Remember that power or plyometrics should not be used everyday. If you do, make sure you are not using the same exercises or muscles.

Prior to performing any power exercise, seek advice some a professional. Power exercise are exactly that, powerful movements. Being sure to complete these correctly is very important to avoid injuring yourself.

From the above, anyone may perform these exercises but much will depend on your goals. If you have goals to improve you power for a sport related activity, you will definitely benefit. But be sure your goals match the benefits of power lifting. Many other movements such as plyometric exercises will give you significant amounts of benefit with less strain on your body.

If you would like additional information, please feel free to contact me directly. Enjoy!

Anyone can perform power-oriented exercises, but as stated by the NASM people should be sure that they have no muscular imbalances. If there are no imbalances, I really like plyometric exercises for athletes, understanding that most sports require some sort of power or explosive movement, plometrics  are great for an improvement in power output.

Power exercises are great exercises that meet the demands of everyday activities as well as sports. Everyone can perform power exercises as different intensities. It is essential that individuals develop core strength and balance as well as possess no postural imbalances when performing power exercises.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How can I track my progress with my exercise program?
These days, there are numerous ways to count steps (or mileage or calories), and that’s through high...
When should I progress in my exercise program?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
One thing that most fitness professionals understand better than anyone else is how and when to prog...
How do I self monitor my exercise?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Monitoring your exercise is really quite simple and well worth the effort. You have a number of ...
What's the best way to measure my fitness progress?
One of the best ways to measure fitness progress is how you feel. After a week or so of exercise are...