What should I do if I can't get my heart rate in range for an interval?

If you go out for an interval workout and are unable to get your heart in range after giving it a long warm up and a viable 15 to 20 minute effort, then make it a recovery ride to let your body heal. Heart rate is affected by heat, hydration and nutrition. You are also still recovering from your hard effort over the weekend (and probably still a little dehydrated from it as well), so you are not able to do the work necessary to bring the heart rate up. Give yourself a few more days to recover. Trust your training program and allow your body to adapt to the training stress you have already endured. “Testing” your heart rate just to see if you can get it high jeopardizes the physiological benefits of recovery. Be sure to rehydrate and rest, and your heart rate will climb back to normal.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

Why Do I Weigh More After Vigorous Exercise?