What should I do if I can't get my heart rate in range for an interval?

If you go out for an interval workout and are unable to get your heart in range after giving it a long warm up and a viable 15 to 20 minute effort, then make it a recovery ride to let your body heal. Heart rate is affected by heat, hydration and nutrition. You are also still recovering from your hard effort over the weekend (and probably still a little dehydrated from it as well), so you are not able to do the work necessary to bring the heart rate up. Give yourself a few more days to recover. Trust your training program and allow your body to adapt to the training stress you have already endured. “Testing” your heart rate just to see if you can get it high jeopardizes the physiological benefits of recovery. Be sure to rehydrate and rest, and your heart rate will climb back to normal.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How can lactate testing be helpful when designing an exercise program?
Lactate threshold is basically synonymous with anaerobic threshold, so if you have an athlete you’re...
When should I progress in my exercise program?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
One thing that most fitness professionals understand better than anyone else is how and when to prog...
What should I do if I have a pear body type?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
If you have a pear-shaped body, you may not like your hips. However, you can be thankful because it ...
What is an athlete field evaluation?
Thayne MunceThayne Munce
In an athlete field evauation, one or more athletes are evaluated during training, practice, or comp...