What is hydrostatic weighing?

Hydrostatic weighing, also known as underwater weighing, is a method of measuring body composition.  A person would first be weighed on a dry scale, and then placed into a water tank and weighed again under water.  Since lean tissue is more dense than fat, the more lean tissue a person has, the more they will weigh under water.  The proportion of fat vs. lean tissue could be calculated from this measurement.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How do I self monitor my exercise?
Self monitoring exercise is being aware of all the impacts of exercise physically and psychologi...
What is the "talk test” and is it accurate to measure exercise intensity?
The biggest problem with individuals and cardiovascular training is how to determine the intensi...
How should I measure my waistline?
Ozgen DoganOzgen Dogan
Use a tape measure to find your waist circumference. Start at the top of your hip bones and brin...
What's the best way to measure my fitness progress?
It's easy to step onto the bathroom scale every day. However, the number it displays doesn't provide...