What is body fat?

Body fat can be broken down into two categories: essential body fat and body fat storage. The essential body fat is necessary to maintain life and body fat storage is an accumulation of adipose tissue. Body fat in excess of what is essential to maintain proper bodily functions is stored energy.
Body fat is simply stored energy.  It is your body's savings account.  When you eat more than your body needs it moves the excess into storage or body fat.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How do I determine my fitness level?
There are three exercise factors that reveal a lot about a person's risk of death and disability -- ...
What are watts and how do they determine my exercise intensity?
Watts measures the rate of energy conversion. It is defined as one joule per second. In the case...
How can I track my progress with my exercise program?
These days, there are numerous ways to count steps (or mileage or calories), and that’s through high...
What does the curl up test measure?
The “curl up” is also known as a crunch. This test measures abdominal strength and endurance. This t...