What is bioelectrical impedance?

Bioelectrical impedance (BEI) is a portable and non-invasive way of estimating body fat percentage.  This could be in the form of a handheld instrument, a scale that you stand on barefoot, or small electrodes that are linked to your hand and foot.  BEI involves conduction of a small electrical current through the body to measure fat percentage, based on the speed of conduction.  Lean tissues have higher water content and less resistance to the current than adipose tissue.  Some BEI devices will measure fat mass, fat free mass, and even total body water.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How can I measure the intensity of my exercise?
To measure the intensity of your exercise you should measure your heart rate. Aerobic exercise can b...
I joined a gym to lose weight, but I am gaining weight. Is it muscle?
If you are new to training, you might be overestimating your expenditure. For example, if you’re...
When should I progress in my exercise program?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
One thing that most fitness professionals understand better than anyone else is how and when to prog...
Is BMI a good way to track muscle mass?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
The BMI formula uses height and weight in its calculation, but it can’t tell whether the weight come...