What is an athlete field evaluation?

Thayne Munce
Sports Medicine
In an athlete field evauation, one or more athletes are evaluated during training, practice, or competition for hydration status (pre- and post-session), fluid intake, and sweat fluid and electrolyte (sodium, potassium, and chloride) losses. Individual-specific hydration and dietary strategies are provided to help each athlete more optimally prepare for, manage, and recover from fluid and electrolyte losses incurred during training and competition. Thermal strain (core body temperature, heart rate, and physiological strain index) can also be monitored.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

Should I jump into local races even if I am not in race shape yet?
Absolutely! Since there’s so much more to being a successful cyclist than merely having great fi...
How can lactate testing be helpful when designing an exercise program?
Lactate threshold is basically synonymous with anaerobic threshold, so if you have an athlete you’re...
What's the best way to measure my fitness progress?
One of the best ways to measure fitness progress is how you feel. After a week or so of exercise are...
How do I self monitor my exercise?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Monitoring your exercise is really quite simple and well worth the effort. You have a number of ...