What is a good waist-to-hip ratio?

A good waist to hip ratio for women is below .80 and a good ratio for men is below .95. It should be considered that waist to hip ration does not take into account lean body mass or fat mass, so a person could have a high waist to hip ratio but have a low body fat percentage. Waist to hip ratio is calculated by measuring the circumference of an individual’s waist and dividing it by the circumference of the individual’s hips. This ratio helps the individual determine their risk for certain health-related conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic diseases. Individuals with a larger mid-section than hips (or who appear to be apple-shaped) are at greater risk for these conditions because the fat accumulation in the mid-section. If an individual accumulates more fat around the hips, they are not at as much risk for weight-related diseases.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is a cycling spin-scan analysis?
Thayne MunceThayne Munce
A cycling spin-scan analysis allows cyclists and triathletes to optimize their pedal stroke with the...
What is an ideal waist-to-hip ratio?
Waist-to-hip ratio measures the waist at the narrowest point between the ribs and the iliac crest. T...
How can I assess my activity level?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
The American Heart Association recommends 150 minutes of moderate activity or 75 minutes of vigorous...
Why should I create an exercise log?
Clients who are new to exercise should choose to keep an exercise log. An exercise log can have a va...