What does body composition measure?

Body composition measures the fat and non fat components of the human body. The fat component refers to the fat mass, or percent body fat. The non-fat component refers to the lean body mass.

There are several procedures used to assess body composition. Always seek a well-trained professional, or technician who fully understands the procedure being used when having your body composition assessed.
Body composition measures the proportion, or percentage, of body fat and fat free mass within the body.  It can also be used to look at the pattern of fat distribution throughout the body.  Body composition is one of the five components of fitness.  It is measured as a determination of health and fitness level.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What does the push up test measure?
The push up test measures upper body endurance, as opposed to a one rep maximum bench press test...
How does talking help determine the intensity of exercise?
Joan PaganoJoan Pagano
The "talk test" is a timeless and easy way to guage the intensity of cardio exercise, based on your ...
How do I self monitor my exercise?
Self monitoring exercise is being aware of all the impacts of exercise physically and psychologi...
What is the lactate threshold?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
Lactate threshold (LT) reflects the exercise intensity at which the concentration of lactate in the ...