What should I do if I have a pear body type?

If you have a pear-shaped body, you may not like your hips. However, you can be thankful because it means you have a lower risk for some diseases. Yet, weight loss in trouble spots does not come easy for those with pear-shaped figures. Fat stored in the thighs and bottom is the last to go when most people try to lose weight. Some obesity experts think one reason is because fat there may actually be protective.

Anyone with a pear-shaped body should to try and reduce the quantity of foods they’re eating -- especially those high in fat. Doing resistance exercises, such as lunges and squats, can help firm and tone butt and thigh muscles. Do not forget the upper body: Toning the arms and back can help even out pear proportions so you get a more hourglass shape.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How can I track my progress with my exercise program?
These days, there are numerous ways to count steps (or mileage or calories), and that’s through high...
How can I assess my activity level?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
The American Heart Association recommends 150 minutes of moderate activity or 75 minutes of vigorous...
What tests are used to assess lower body agility and control?
The Shark Skill test measures agility and neuromuscular control in the lower extremities. Start by m...
What is VO2 max?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
VO2max is the maximal oxygen consumption or uptake. It's the most relevant measure of the cardioresp...