What should I do if I have a pear body type?

If you have a pear-shaped body, you may not like your hips. However, you can be thankful because it means you have a lower risk for some diseases. Yet, weight loss in trouble spots does not come easy for those with pear-shaped figures. Fat stored in the thighs and bottom is the last to go when most people try to lose weight. Some obesity experts think one reason is because fat there may actually be protective.

Anyone with a pear-shaped body should to try and reduce the quantity of foods they’re eating -- especially those high in fat. Doing resistance exercises, such as lunges and squats, can help firm and tone butt and thigh muscles. Do not forget the upper body: Toning the arms and back can help even out pear proportions so you get a more hourglass shape.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What are watts and how do they determine my exercise intensity?
Watts measures the rate of energy conversion. It is defined as one joule per second. In the case...
What variables contribute to the success of an exercise plan?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
The acute variables of exercise include: Repetitions are the number of times an exercise is repe...
When should I do plyometric exercises?
To get the most out of your plyometric exercises, you should perform them toward the beginning of a ...
What is VO2 max?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
VO2max is the maximal oxygen consumption or uptake. It's the most relevant measure of the cardioresp...