What should I do if I have an apple body type?

If you’re an apple shape, it just means you have to be more diligent about making smart lifestyle changes. Don’t focus on the scale, but rather on removing inches from your waist. Reducing your waist by just two inches has been shown to significantly decrease your risk for future disease. The American Heart Association recommends the measurement around your waist (waist circumference) be less than 35 inches for women and less than 40 inches for men.

If you are apple-shaped, you also should try to focus on the quality of the food you are eating and not just the quantity. A diet that includes healthy fats, such as salmon and walnuts, is recommended. You may also want to increase fiber intake to help prevent insulin spikes that are more likely in apple­shaped people with type 2 diabetes. Soluble fiber found in legumes, oats, veggies and fruits also can help lower cholesterol levels. Cardio should be the go-to exercise for anyone with an apple-shaped body.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What tests are used to assess lower body agility and control?
The Shark Skill test measures agility and neuromuscular control in the lower extremities. Start by m...
What is the "talk test” and is it accurate to measure exercise intensity?
The biggest problem with individuals and cardiovascular training is how to determine the intensi...
How does talking help determine the intensity of exercise?
Joan PaganoJoan Pagano
The "talk test" is a timeless and easy way to guage the intensity of cardio exercise, based on your ...
What are watts and how do they determine my exercise intensity?
Watts measures the rate of energy conversion. It is defined as one joule per second. In the case...