What can I do to get rid of my low back arch?

Joan Pagano
Fitness
You first need to define your personal "neutral spine alignment." The position of the pelvis determines the degree of curve in the low back.  Neutral lumbar spine alignment is midway between a full arch and a flat-back position. You should have a slight curve in the low-back area, just enough to slip your hand in if you are lying on your back or standing straight with your back against the wall. To explore your individual range of motion, do a strong pelvic tilt, flattening the curve in the low back, then release halfway, allowing the natural curve. If you have a pronounced arch, or sway back, stretch the hip flexors in the front of the hip. Tight hip flexors pull the pelvis forward.
Strength Training Exercises for Women

Strength Training Exercises for Women

Packed with more than 200 visual step-by-step exercises designed to burn calories, strengthen the core, and tone the body, Strength Training for Women is a must-have for core-conscious women who want to target key areas of their body and maintain all-round strength and fitness.
Having an excessive arch in your low back is most likely caused by having tight hip flexors and erector spinae (muscles that run up and down your spine) muscles. This would also mean that your glutes, hamstrings, and internal core muscles are weak. Start by stretching your hip flexors and lower back, then perform exercises that engage your glutes and hamstrings, such as squats and hip bridges.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How do I measure my metabolic rate when exercising?
At rest, your body burns 1,400 to 1,900 kcal (kilocalories) a day. This is your "resting metabolic r...
How should I measure my waistline?
Ozgen DoganOzgen Dogan
Use a tape measure to find your waist circumference. Start at the top of your hip bones and brin...
How can I make best use of EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption)?
Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption is the period of time after exercise where your body is stil...
What is the National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP)?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
The National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP) is a group of scientists and heal...