Is waist-to-hip ratio a good way to track increasing muscle mass?

Unfortunately, waist to hip ratio is not a very good indication of fat mass or muscle mass. The calculation ratio of circumference of the waist to the circumference of the hips does not differentiate between fat and muscle. This was developed as way to assess for weight related health conditions. Individuals who carry more fat around their torso (apple-shaped) are at higher risk for developing certain health conditions than someone who is pear-shaped. When measuring someone who has high amounts of muscle mass, the measurement becomes innaccurate. A better way to track body fat is with skin fold calipers. The calipers estimate the percentage of fat mass that is in the body. You can multiply this percentage by your total body weight to determine the number of pounds of fat you have in your body.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

I joined a gym to lose weight, but I am gaining weight. Is it muscle?
If you are new to training, you might be overestimating your expenditure. For example, if you’re...
What should my heart rate be during cardio exercise?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Start by determining your maximum heart rate. I suggest the following formula: 220 - your age = esti...
What is a cycling spin-scan analysis?
Thayne MunceThayne Munce
A cycling spin-scan analysis allows cyclists and triathletes to optimize their pedal stroke with the...
What is oxygen uptake?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
The ability to use oxygen is commonly referred to as "oxygen uptake," or sometimes as "oxygen tr...