What is an ideal waist-to-hip ratio?

Waist-to-hip ratio measures the waist at the narrowest point between the ribs and the iliac crest. To determine your waist-to-hip ratio, take a tape measure and measure your waist (at the point of your bellybutton, while sucking in - you will anyway). Now measure your hips at the largest point around the buttocks. Do this calculation: Waist size divided by hip size. Men are generally close to 1:1 (same size waist and hips). The ideal figure that science has determined for women: 0.7:1 (in our terms that's at most a 32.5-inch waist and 46-inch hips).
Before you wad up a ball of paper and hurl it at the screen, hear me out. While we know there are all kinds of "ideal" bodies, studies actually show that waist-to-hip ratio is a very reliable signal of reproductive age, reproductive potential, and potential for disease. The closer your body is to the ideal measurements, the closer it is to ideal for childbearing. Researchers also found that the waist-to-hip ratio for Playboy centerfolds has increased slightly from .68 to .71, and Miss America contest winners have had a decrease from .72 to .69. The average body weight of these women has decreased over the years, but they still remain fairly constant when it comes to the all-important waist-to-hip ratio.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is a sport-specific nutrition assessment?
Mr. Rich Kevan, CPTMr. Rich Kevan, CPT
It is a sports specific nutrition test and consultation to show an athlete the specific energy requi...
How can athletes be evaluated during exercise in the heat?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
A sweat fluid and electrolyte losses and physiological strain in the heat assessment evaluates an at...
What is the lactate threshold?
Lactate threshold (LT) reflects the exercise intensity at which the concentration of lactate in the ...
How do I self monitor my exercise?
Self monitoring exercise is being aware of all the impacts of exercise physically and psychologi...