What is an ideal waist-to-hip ratio?

Waist-to-hip ratio measures the waist at the narrowest point between the ribs and the iliac crest. To determine your waist-to-hip ratio, take a tape measure and measure your waist (at the point of your bellybutton, while sucking in - you will anyway). Now measure your hips at the largest point around the buttocks. Do this calculation: Waist size divided by hip size. Men are generally close to 1:1 (same size waist and hips). The ideal figure that science has determined for women: 0.7:1 (in our terms that's at most a 32.5-inch waist and 46-inch hips).
Before you wad up a ball of paper and hurl it at the screen, hear me out. While we know there are all kinds of "ideal" bodies, studies actually show that waist-to-hip ratio is a very reliable signal of reproductive age, reproductive potential, and potential for disease. The closer your body is to the ideal measurements, the closer it is to ideal for childbearing. Researchers also found that the waist-to-hip ratio for Playboy centerfolds has increased slightly from .68 to .71, and Miss America contest winners have had a decrease from .72 to .69. The average body weight of these women has decreased over the years, but they still remain fairly constant when it comes to the all-important waist-to-hip ratio.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is oxygen uptake?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
The ability to use oxygen is commonly referred to as "oxygen uptake," or sometimes as "oxygen tr...
What does the push up test measure?
The push up test measures upper body endurance, as opposed to a one rep maximum bench press test...
When should I do plyometric exercises?
To get the most out of your plyometric exercises, you should perform them toward the beginning of a ...
Should I jump into local races even if I am not in race shape yet?
Absolutely! Since there’s so much more to being a successful cyclist than merely having great fi...