What are some examples of reactive exercises that anyone can do?

Mr. Donovan Green
Athletic Training
Reactive exercises can be done pretty much anywhere. They normally include a lot of explosive movements such as burpees and box jumps. But how can you train for reaction by doing low impact stuff? One of my favorite exercises is a partner drill where you stand in ready postion as if you were getting ready to catch a ball. Your partner will then hold a ruler over you and drop it at any given time. Your job will be to catch that ruler before it hits the ground. This drill is great for overall reaction of the hands, eyes, and your entire nervous system.
Some examples of reactive exercises that help to improve power include:
  • Squat jump
  • Box jump up/down
  • Medicine ball chest pass

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What tests are used to assess lower body agility and control?
The Shark Skill test measures agility and neuromuscular control in the lower extremities. Start by m...
What is the National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP)?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
The National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP) is a group of scientists and heal...
When should I progress in my exercise program?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
One thing that most fitness professionals understand better than anyone else is how and when to prog...
What are watts and how do they determine my exercise intensity?
Watts measures the rate of energy conversion. It is defined as one joule per second. In the case...