Are some skin fold calipers better than others?

In short, yes - which is why they can range from as little as $10 to as much as $500. A good set of calipers will be able to maintain constant pressure and has a wide operating range with easy to read gauge. Some helpful features to look for are spring loaded-arms, tips that pivot or float to hold the skin fold, and the ability to calibrate easily. If you have the budget, there are good quality digital devices that have built-in computers that perform the formula computations for you on the spot.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What should I do if I have a pear body type?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
If you have a pear-shaped body, you may not like your hips. However, you can be thankful because it ...
What's the best way to measure my fitness progress?
It's easy to step onto the bathroom scale every day. However, the number it displays doesn't provide...
What is VO2 max?
VO2 max is also called maximal oxygen consumption. It is a measure of the maximum intensity at w...
How do I measure my metabolic rate when exercising?
At rest, your body burns 1,400 to 1,900 kcal (kilocalories) a day. This is your "resting metabolic r...