How is lower body strength measured?

The most common method for testing lower body strength is to estimate the one-rep maximum (1RM) on the leg press.
  • Good form should be utilized throughout the test: feet shoulder-width and pointing forward, knees in line with toes (when legs are bent), and low back in a neutral position.
  • Start out by doing 8-10 repetitions with a light weight that can easily be performed independently.
  • Rest for one minute and then add 30-40 pounds and lift three to five times.
  • Rest for two minutes and then add 30-40 pounds more and lift again for 3-5 repetitions. Continue this step until you reach a weight that you cannot lift five times with proper form.
  • Use a “one-rep max estimation chart” to calculate your 1 RM, based on the amount of weight and number of times lifted.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

Why Do I Weigh More After Vigorous Exercise?