I joined a gym to lose weight, but I am gaining weight. Is it muscle?

If you are new to training, you might be overestimating your expenditure. For example, if you’re running three miles, three days a week, that’s only 300 extra calories on your run days (that equals ¾ cup of brown rice and a banana!). Make sure your choices and portions are healthy and remain slightly less than your body needs to maintain weight, and you will begin to lose weight.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How should I measure my waistline?
Ozgen DoganOzgen Dogan
Use a tape measure to find your waist circumference. Start at the top of your hip bones and brin...
How do I determine my fitness level?
There are three exercise factors that reveal a lot about a person's risk of death and disability -- ...
Why is waist-hip ratio important?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
A study found that waist-to-hip ratio is a better predictor of heart-related events and death in peo...
Why do I weigh more after vigorous exercise?
Ever wonder why the scale gives you a higher weight after vigorous exercise? Watch the video to l...