Is hydrostatic weighing a good way to measure increases in muscle mass?

Yes, underwater (hydrostatic) weighing is one of the most accurate methods of measuring body fat. Using Archimedes' buoyancy principle, hydrostatic weighing calculates the amount of body fat based on the difference between a person's weight on dry land and their weight while suspended in a liquid of known density. This works because of the different relative densitites of fat and lean body mass. Lean body mass (muscle, bone, and organs)is more dense than water, so when placed in water, it will sink. Fat tissue is less dense than water and will float. Using the dry weight, wet weight, and density of the liquid, you can determine the volume and weight of the fat tissue within the body. While this method is highly accurate, it is difficult to find and expensive. Special equipment is necessary and not all fitness facilities have this equipment available.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How can I track my progress with my exercise program?
These days, there are numerous ways to count steps (or mileage or calories), and that’s through high...
What should my heart rate be during cardio exercise?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Start by determining your maximum heart rate. I suggest the following formula: 220 - your age = esti...
How can athletes be evaluated during exercise in the heat?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
A sweat fluid and electrolyte losses and physiological strain in the heat assessment evaluates an at...
Why should I track my exercise progress?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Your resting pulse can serve as a general measure of improved cardiovascular health, so a reason...