How is the vertical jump test performed?

Stand with your side against the wall/flat surface and reach straight up as high as possible. Have someone mark this spot (at the tip of your fingers) on the wall with tape or chalk.

Next, place some chalk or tape on your fingers as close to the tips as possible.

Stand next to the wall the same way you did in step 1 and jump as high as you can. When you feel that you're at your peak, slap your chalk or tape-covered fingers against the wall to leave a mark.

Measure the distance from the point that you made in step 1 to the point you made in step 3. 
Start by standing with one side against a wall and reach your hand up as high as you can (while keeping your shoulders level). Have someone measure this height. Then, perform an easy warm up and a few light practice jumps. Once you are ready, put some chalk on your fingers and stand next to the wall and jump, reach, and tap the wall as high as you can. Rest and repeat. After several attempts, record the highest reach and subtract your standing reach. This is your vertical jump height.   

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is heat tolerance testing?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
Heat tolerance testing evaluates an athlete’s current tolerance to exercising in the heat. Athletes ...
What is an athlete field evaluation?
Thayne MunceThayne Munce
In an athlete field evauation, one or more athletes are evaluated during training, practice, or comp...
What should my heart rate be during cardio exercise?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Start by determining your maximum heart rate. I suggest the following formula: 220 - your age = esti...
When should I progress in my exercise program?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
One thing that most fitness professionals understand better than anyone else is how and when to prog...