How is the push up test performed?

Men will assume a traditional pushup position and females can use the modified pushup position (on knees). When the pushups start, so does the clock! Press yourself up with arms fully extended and lower yourself back until your chest is three inches from the floor (but do not touch your body to the floor). Repeat as many times as you can in one minute. You may rest only in the “up” position if necessary.
Start on the ground in “push up position.”  Men should start on your toes, with your legs, hips, and back straight, hands a little wider than shoulder-width.  Women should start on your knees instead of toes, keeping the hips and back straight.  Lower down until elbows and shoulders are parallel (creating a 90 degree angle).  Perform as many as you can do without stopping or using improper form. 

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What does the push up test measure?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
The push up test measures muscular endurance of the upper body. The push up test is performed for a ...
What should I do if I have a pear body type?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
If you have a pear-shaped body, you may not like your hips. However, you can be thankful because it ...
What are watts and how do they determine my exercise intensity?
Watts measures the rate of energy conversion. It is defined as one joule per second. In the case...
How can I track my progress with my exercise program?
These days, there are numerous ways to count steps (or mileage or calories), and that’s through high...