How is the push up test performed?

Men will assume a traditional pushup position and females can use the modified pushup position (on knees). When the pushups start, so does the clock! Press yourself up with arms fully extended and lower yourself back until your chest is three inches from the floor (but do not touch your body to the floor). Repeat as many times as you can in one minute. You may rest only in the “up” position if necessary.
Start on the ground in “push up position.”  Men should start on your toes, with your legs, hips, and back straight, hands a little wider than shoulder-width.  Women should start on your knees instead of toes, keeping the hips and back straight.  Lower down until elbows and shoulders are parallel (creating a 90 degree angle).  Perform as many as you can do without stopping or using improper form. 

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What variables contribute to the success of an exercise plan?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
The acute variables of exercise include: Repetitions are the number of times an exercise is repe...
What does the curl up test measure?
The “curl up” is also known as a crunch. This test measures abdominal strength and endurance. This t...
Will super slow training make me stronger?
Yes. Super slow training can make you stronger.In two research studies that have been conducted on s...
How can I measure the intensity of my exercise?
To measure the intensity of your exercise you should measure your heart rate. Aerobic exercise can b...