How should I measure my waistline?

Instead of watching the scale -- a habit that has sent many successful losers plummeting to diet disaster -- keep tabs on your waistline by measuring it weekly. It's true that your waist is more important than your weight. How to measure: If your waist measurement at your belly button, with you sucking in, is more than half your height, your fat levels are risky. If your waist is bigger than 37 inches (women) or 40 inches (men), there's no time like the present to whittle your middle.

Ozgen Dogan
Use a tape measure to find your waist circumference. Start at the top of your hip bones and bring the tape all the way around until it's level with your belly button. Don't pull it too tightly, and resist the urge to suck in your stomach. A healthy waist circumference should not exceed 35 inches in women and 40 inches in men.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is an ideal waist-to-hip ratio?
Waist-to-hip ratio measures the waist at the narrowest point between the ribs and the iliac crest. T...
What is VO2 max?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
VO2max is the maximal oxygen consumption or uptake. It's the most relevant measure of the cardioresp...
Why should I create an exercise log?
Clients who are new to exercise should choose to keep an exercise log. An exercise log can have a va...
When should I do plyometric exercises?
To get the most out of your plyometric exercises, you should perform them toward the beginning of a ...