How should I measure my waistline?

Instead of watching the scale -- a habit that has sent many successful losers plummeting to diet disaster -- keep tabs on your waistline by measuring it weekly. It's true that your waist is more important than your weight. How to measure: If your waist measurement at your belly button, with you sucking in, is more than half your height, your fat levels are risky. If your waist is bigger than 37 inches (women) or 40 inches (men), there's no time like the present to whittle your middle.

Ozgen Dogan
Use a tape measure to find your waist circumference. Start at the top of your hip bones and bring the tape all the way around until it's level with your belly button. Don't pull it too tightly, and resist the urge to suck in your stomach. A healthy waist circumference should not exceed 35 inches in women and 40 inches in men.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What's the best way to measure my fitness progress?
One of the best ways to measure fitness progress is how you feel. After a week or so of exercise are...
What should I do if I have a pear body type?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
If you have a pear-shaped body, you may not like your hips. However, you can be thankful because it ...
Why should I create an exercise log?
Clients who are new to exercise should choose to keep an exercise log. An exercise log can have a va...
What is the National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP)?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
The National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP) is a group of scientists and heal...