How is body composition measured?

Body composition can be measured many different ways.  The most accurate methods tend to involve large, expensive machinery.  Smaller, transportable methods have been developed in order to estimate body composition in a cost effective way.  A few examples include:
o Skin fold calipers
o Bioelectrical impedance
o Hydrostatic weighing
o Air displacement plethysmography (Bod Pod)
o DEXA 

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How does the RPE help determine the intensity of exercise?
The Borg RPE scale provides a subjective measure of intensity. An easy way to estimate if the activi...
When should I progress in my exercise program?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
One thing that most fitness professionals understand better than anyone else is how and when to prog...
Why do I weigh more after vigorous exercise?
Ever wonder why the scale gives you a higher weight after vigorous exercise? Watch the video to l...
What is the "talk test” and is it accurate to measure exercise intensity?
The biggest problem with individuals and cardiovascular training is how to determine the intensi...