How do I shed fat?

Fat loss can only occur when an individual burns more calories than they consume. This is known as the law of thermodynamics. The first step in reducing body fat and losing weight is to begin a nutrition program which decreases the amount of calories you are consuming. It is recommended to take in 15%-30% of your calories from protein, 10%-30% from fat and 50%-70% from carbohydrates. This will ensure you are providing your body with enough energy from carbohydrates, muscle-building properties from protein, and fat to help with hormone regulation and digestion. For exercise, cardiorespiratory training is always recommended as the primary source to burn extra calories and improve heart health. To begin, try to keep your heart rate between 65%-75% of your estimated maximum heart rate. Your maximum heart rate can be found by subtracting your age from 220. Resistance training while exercising to lose weight is very important. It will help to minimize the amount of muscle tissue lost while decreasing total body fat and serves to help increase metabolism. It takes more calories to maintain muscle than fat. So, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest. This makes for greater fat burning potential.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is a cycling spin-scan analysis?
Thayne MunceThayne Munce
A cycling spin-scan analysis allows cyclists and triathletes to optimize their pedal stroke with the...
How can athletes be evaluated during exercise in the heat?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
A sweat fluid and electrolyte losses and physiological strain in the heat assessment evaluates an at...
Why should I track my exercise progress?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Your resting pulse can serve as a general measure of improved cardiovascular health, so a reason...
How can I assess my activity level?
If you don’t raise your heart rate  or breathing for a combined 30 minutes, five to seven days per w...