My interval heart rate range is narrow, so what can I do to stay in zone?

There are a number of reasons that could contribute to your difficulty holding your heart rate in a specific zone during your interval work. You could be getting fitter based on your training and be able to hold a higher heart rate during interval workouts; in which case you should repeat your field test to see if you have increased your lactate threshold with training. It is also possible that if your heart rate is climbing too high out of range on an interval, particularly on a hill, you could also be pushing too high of a gear on the hills. If this is the case, shifting down should enable you to keep your heart rate down. While it is challenging to stay within a narrow range for training, it is optimal, so make sure to find terrain that is appropriate for the given interval workout. On steep climbs your heart rate may go too high, and on long descents your heart rate may dip too low. It is best to look at the workout first, and then pick your ride route. Also it is very easy to regulate terrain on a trainer, even though it may not be as interesting or fun as riding on the road; you will be able to regulate the effort better.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is VO2 max?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
VO2max is the maximal oxygen consumption or uptake. It's the most relevant measure of the cardioresp...
What should I do if I have a pear body type?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
If you have a pear-shaped body, you may not like your hips. However, you can be thankful because it ...
What is a cycling spin-scan analysis?
Thayne MunceThayne Munce
A cycling spin-scan analysis allows cyclists and triathletes to optimize their pedal stroke with the...
Is BMI a good way to track muscle mass?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
The BMI formula uses height and weight in its calculation, but it can’t tell whether the weight come...