How can I determine my body type?

Knowing your body type can help you determine how and where to focus your weight loss efforts. When you get dressed, are you more apt to disguise your thighs or hide your belly? Considering these simple things can help you figure out if your body shape falls into an “apple” or “pear” category. Understanding where your body stores fat may help you strategize more effectively when it comes to weight loss.

A scientific method to figure out your body type is to calculate your waist-to-hip ratio. You only need a tape measure. Measure your health in inches and not so much in pounds.

Measure in inches the smallest part of your waist. If you’re overweight and apple-shape, your natural waist may be hidden, so measure one inch above your belly button. Then measure the widest part of your bottom half, which is the buttocks for some people and the thighs for others. Divide the waist number by the bottom number.

If you’re a man and your waist-­to-hip ratio is less than 0.9, then you are a pear. If you’re a woman and your waist-to-hip ratio is less than 0.8, you’re also a pear. The smaller the number the better -- higher numbers, or apple shapes, may mean more health problems.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is the National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP)?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
The National Institute for Athletic Health and Performance (NIAHP) is a group of scientists and heal...
What causes muscular imbalances?
Heather Campbell, NASM Elite TrainerHeather Campbell, NASM Elite Trainer
Muscular imbalances are often caused by a lifestyle with little physical activity. On the flip side,...
How do I self monitor my exercise?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Monitoring your exercise is really quite simple and well worth the effort. You have a number of ...
Why is waist-hip ratio important?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
A study found that waist-to-hip ratio is a better predictor of heart-related events and death in peo...