Are hand-held bodyfat analyzers accurate?

Hand-held bodyfat analyzers use bioelectrical impedance to assess percentage of body fat. This is one of the quickest forms of testing. In this system, a signal passes from hand to hand. The faster the signal travels, the more muscle you have. This is because water conducts electricity and fat contains almost no water while muscle is about 70% water. This method can be accurate but is highly affected by hydration, food intake, and skin temperature.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How do I determine my fitness level?
JC Pinzon JC Pinzon
Fitness has different components. You can start by checking your body fat percentage and compare it ...
What tools can I use to track my progress in my new fitness plan?
These items will help you track your progress. You may have some of them already, so check your ...
What is oxygen uptake?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
Oxygen uptake is VO2. It’s the oxygen consumption or uptake per kilogram of body weight. It's the mo...
How can I track my progress with my exercise program?
These days, there are numerous ways to count steps (or mileage or calories), and that’s through high...