Does a tape measure ever provide inaccurate data about body changes?

Tape measures produce objective information; however, the accuracy of the measurement may be inconsistent due to human error. Overall, the tape measure is a great way to obtain circumference measurements in order to track weight loss. Circumference measurements help to assess the girth of specific points on the body (neck, chest, waist, hips, thighs, calves and biceps). As body composition changes, the measurements should change accordingly. For example, if your goal is weight loss and the circumference measurement methods are consistent (taken on the same part of the body each time), the tape measure will show a decrease in circumference. In some cases, circumference measurements are used for body fat measurements; however, the tape measure cannot differentiate between lean body mass and body fat. This can lead to inaccuracies in body fat calculations.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How do I measure my metabolic rate when exercising?
At rest, your body burns 1,400 to 1,900 kcal (kilocalories) a day. This is your "resting metabolic r...
How can I measure the intensity of my exercise?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Either purchase a fitness monitor or learn how to take your own pulse rate and exercise at least s...
What tools can I use to track my progress in my new fitness plan?
The best ways to track a fitness plan is by using a calendar, a journal or designing your own sp...
How can I track my progress with my exercise program?
These days, there are numerous ways to count steps (or mileage or calories), and that’s through high...