Do I have to do circumference measurements?

As many people feel uncomfortable about getting their measurements done it is a useful tool in your progress.  Having your measurements done every 2-4 weeks allows you to see where you are losing it from first and what areas are not changing yet.  So just remember it is something you don't have to do but it is useful.
No, you do not have to do circumference measurements, but they are recommended as a useful assessment to help you set your goals and evaluate your results. These measurements are merely an estimate of body fat based on statistical data, but if an individual is losing inches, it can be assumed they are decreasing body fat. Other methods which can be used to assist in goal setting and program evaluation are body fat assessments (hydrostatic weighing, bioelectrical impedance, or skin fold measurements), using a scale for weight, using your clothes as a guide, body mass index, or waist to hip ratio.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is the lactate threshold?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
Lactate threshold (LT) reflects the exercise intensity at which the concentration of lactate in the ...
How do I self monitor my exercise?
Joshua C. Klapow, PhDJoshua C. Klapow, PhD
Monitoring your exercise is really quite simple and well worth the effort. You have a number of ...
What are watts and how do they determine my exercise intensity?
Watts measures the rate of energy conversion. It is defined as one joule per second. In the case...
What tools can I use to track my progress in my new fitness plan?
These items will help you track your progress. You may have some of them already, so check your ...