Are circumference measurements good to use to track muscle mass?

Unfortunately, circumference measurements are not a very good indication of fat mass or muscle mass. Circumference measurements are used to glean an estimate of a person's body fat based on their age and circumference measurements of certain parts of the body (abdomen, thigh, forearm, ec.). Using this information, a chart is consulted that will provide a number called a constant. This constant is then inserted in a mathematical equation, which will provide an estimate of body fat. The constants are based on demographic research of a large population, but although statistical corrections can be made, the constants do not differentiate between muscle and fat. For example, the circumference test may not be able to tell if your thigh is large because of excess fat or large muscle mass. Therefore, the information it provides can be somewhat misleading. These constants do not differentiate between fat and muscle. When factoring in someone with large amounts of muscle mass the method can become inaccurate. A better way to track body fat is with skin fold calipers. The calipers estimate the percentage of fat mass that is in the body. You can multiply this percentage by your total body weight to determine the number of pounds of fat you have in your body.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is oxygen uptake?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
The ability to use oxygen is commonly referred to as "oxygen uptake," or sometimes as "oxygen tr...
What causes muscular imbalances?
Keith Chittenden , NASM Elite TrainerKeith Chittenden , NASM Elite Trainer
Muscular Imbalances can be caused by improper seated or standing postures.  If you are constantly si...
When should I progress in my exercise program?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
One thing that most fitness professionals understand better than anyone else is how and when to prog...
How can I make best use of EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption)?
Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption is the period of time after exercise where your body is stil...