What posture checkpoints should I be aware of during movement?

When people I don't even know find out I am a trainer, they often ask for a quick pointer in regards to "strength" training at the health club.  I give them two things to focus on.  First - set & maintain your posture throughout the movement.  Secondly - move the weight slow & controlled.  Of course for functional training movements, the pointers are a bit different as there is need for more dynamic movement.

There are five checkpoints to keep in mind when performing any activity. Look for the following:

• Feet – should be facing forward, hip width apart
  • Knees – should have a soft bend and not turn inward
  • “Lumbo-pelvic-hip complex” (ie: hips and low back) – should be neutral with a minimal arch in the lower back
  • Shoulders – should be pulled back and remain relaxed (not lifting up towards the ears)
  • Head – should be neutral and not pushing forward.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How is fitness measured in the lab?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Fitness is generally measured in the lab as maximum oxygen uptake, or VO2 max. This is a measure of ...
What causes muscular imbalances?
Keith Chittenden , NASM Elite TrainerKeith Chittenden , NASM Elite Trainer
Muscular Imbalances can be caused by improper seated or standing postures.  If you are constantly si...
How can I make best use of EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption)?
Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption is the period of time after exercise where your body is stil...
What does the push up test measure?
The push up test measures upper body endurance, as opposed to a one rep maximum bench press test...